Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I am a Di.

Dominance and Influence. According to Personal Profile System, I would make a good leader and I am going to agree with this.
Some of my personal characteristics, definitely, fit the profile description: I like to accept challenges and cause action, get immediate results and make quick decisions, take authority, manage trouble, solve problems. I would like to work in Public Relations. It's a very competitive industry and requires a lot of effort and a very strong personality. I, definitely, desire not only be an assistant and run errands my first few months in the industry but also take action and take responsibility, prove that I can be a leader. 
I would say the test got my management/leader orientation 80% correct. I, certainly, prefer to be in a prestige and challenge environment with wide scope of operations, freedom from controls and supervision (it's very important to me since I show better results when I act without any supervision. I come up with more creative ideas and don't feel limited and pressured), opportunity for advancement and many varied activities. 
I LOVE how precise was the description of the atmosphere I need in order to be more effective. I am not going to lie...my life is super busy: I have two jobs, school full-time. I also fully support myself (since I don't have any family members with me in the United States) and my mom back in Russia. But if I get lazy, I get L.A.Z.Y! I need something to motivate me and keep me going at all times. I could never be passive for too long. Yes, I need difficult assignments and occasional shock, awareness of existing sanctions and identification with a group, I appreciate and know the value of a team work. I do need others who get my personality, like to deliberate before deciding, research facts and calculate risks. I do like to make quick decisions sometimes, so I need a team to help me structure a more predictable environment and use caution.
I don't think I would like to be any other type. I would, probably, like to learn some patience and logical approach from Type I (Influence), but other than that, I am pretty satisfied with my personal profile description. I think, you can learn from another type and try to take the best traits to improve yourself, but fully become another type, honestly, I don't think it's possible. By this age, we have a good idea of who we are, our opinions and personalities are pretty much defined. To change your type completely means changing who you are, your personality. And it's not easy if not almost impossible. It might backfire at you and look like a pathetic effort to be something you are not, or even seem fake.
I think it's helpful to determine people's management "type" to better understand where they are coming from and how to interact with them, especially if you are about to hire someone for a management position. It won't tell you everything about a person but would give you some kind of idea of what to expect. It also might help you in some personal interactions. It can show you what kind of approach would be needed in order to get best results and make a good profit for the company.

3 comments:

  1. I like the points you bring up such as that changing your personality type is impossible by this stage in life. I agree you might be able to learn a few traits to make yourself more like the person you want to be but by now you are who you are and the best thing you can do is accept it and figure out how to be the most successful by using your personality traits. I also like that you pointed out that you need others of other personality types around you to help you in areas that you lack. I think this is very true and a great reason as to why businesses should use these types of tests to organize the company

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this test was very accurate and it describes every one very well. i was an Id type and i totally agree with it. Good luck on having your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    It seems like the test described you pretty accurately. What I've noticed in our group projects that you also mentioned is that you are leader-oriented and take authority. In regards to our egg project, we happened to have many strong leaders in our group, but even then I could still tell that you like managing and leading. Like you mentioned in your blog, that you like to work with "freedom from controls and supervision" and that you show better results without supervision, I can imagine that you would be good at that, even though I haven't seen you work without supervision. It seems like you could be creative in those environments too, I agree.
    Also, it's interesting how you said that you don't think that anyone can fully become another type, and that it would be like changing one's personality completely if that happened, or seeming fake. I agree that we can definitely improve ourselves with some traits from various types, and we probably more or less already have some traits from each type, but not completely changing a type to an opposite type. I agree! Maybe it's possible for some people, but it's probably rare. Some things that we do we may even have been born with, or have learned at such an early stage that it would be hard to change now.
    Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete